Re: Linux 2.4.20-pre4-ac2

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt (benh@kernel.crashing.org)
Date: Mon Aug 26 2002 - 15:37:20 EST

>If it was x86 I'd say "keep it for 2.4, delete it in 2.5, in the 2.4 one
>add a printk advising people to switch driver". I don't know how the ppc
>world is accustomed to handling this though

Well, we aren't not really accustomed to obsoleting a driver yet ;)

My original intend was just that (keep it in 2.4 and delete it in 2.5)
but now, working sungem has been around 2.4 for quite some time and new
machines aren't properly suported by it etc...

The printk big bold warning on driver load may be the best option for 2.4

Ben.