Re: Is it possible to use 8K page size on a i386 pc?

From: Richard B. Johnson (root@chaos.analogic.com)
Date: Tue Aug 27 2002 - 14:19:50 EST

On Tue, 27 Aug 2002, chen, xiangping wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just wonder how PAGE_SIZE in determined in each architecture? Is it
> possible to use 8k or bigger page size in a i386 PC?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Xiangping

It's hardware; "Because both the virtual pages in the linear
address space and the physical pages of memory are aligned to
4k page boundaries, there is no need to modify the low 12
bits of the address. These 12 bits pass straight through the
paging hardware, whether paging is enabled or not...."

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
The US military has given us many words, FUBAR, SNAFU, now ENRON.
Yes, top management were graduates of West Point and Annapolis.