Problem

From: Ryan White (rwhite@luminex.com)
Date: Thu Aug 29 2002 - 14:55:44 EST

Summary
-------
System freezes when writing large amount of data to external buffer drive.

Full Description
----------------
I was created 4 large files on an externally mounted Hard Drive. Doing
this using the dd command. Each file is roughly about 600MB or so. After
doing this for a while, the system just hangs and doesn't do anything
else. I can't access the drive or do an 'ls' on them either. The light
on the drives is constany lit as well, which never happens unless error.

Kernel Version
--------------
We are using verions 2.4.19

Output
------
The only output would be to whatever comes out from what we're running.
We don't run a program with output, only in the background. So there is
no output when the systems hangs.

Example to Duplicate Problem
----------------------------
Just running several dd commands at the same times. I just put it in a
loop and ran the same command but change the output file name.

dd if=/dev/zero of=/buffer1/tmp.file$i bs=1k count=600000 &

thats basically it, except forthe loop that i executed 4 times.

Environment
-----------
I saved a script file to showsome of the setting on the environmen. It is
saved as an attachment.

The SCSI hard disk that we are using is: IBM-DDRS-34560-S97B cyl 8186 alt
2 hd 5 sec 218) and approx 4GB.

Please let me know if this is a bug or not....

Ryan White
Software Engineer

Luminex Software, Inc.
6840 Indiana Avenue, Suite 130