keyboard slowdown regression in 2.5.32 (right .config) Re: FIXED in 2.5.29 Re: keyboard ONLY functions in 2.5.27 with local APIC on for UP

From: bert hubert (ahu@ds9a.nl)
Date: Sat Aug 31 2002 - 13:26:45 EST

Vojtech, list, I think we may have a small regression in the keyboard
support.

In 2.5.27 my keyboard only worked when I turned on Local APIC on UP, which
was fixed in 2.5.29 (original message below).

In 2.5.32 I'm back to almost the exact same problem, but the APIC setting
does not matter.

It boots fine without keyboard support, which I had initially after make
oldconfig (except no keyboard). When I turn on the keyboard support, just
after 'Freeing unused kernel memory', my harddisk light starts to blink
roughly once every .75 seconds and the boot proceeds *very* slowly.
Furthermore, I can feel that the CPU is hard at work, the fan exhaust of my
laptop gets pretty hot.

Numlock does not react and keystrokes do not appear on the screen. I do see
some keyboard related printk's early in the bootprocess but they are gone
quickly and do not look like errors.

This is the exact same behaviour I had with 2.5.27 and APIC *off*.

2.5.31 works fine. This is a nearly-completely-SiS laptop from a company
called 'Gericom'.

Booted with 2.5.31:
$ cat /proc/interrupts
           CPU0
  0: 475860 XT-PIC timer
  1: 2572 XT-PIC keyboard
  2: 0 XT-PIC cascade
  8: 3 XT-PIC rtc
  9: 0 XT-PIC acpi
 10: 3141 XT-PIC eth0
 12: 526 XT-PIC PS/2 Mouse
 14: 4879 XT-PIC ide0
 15: 11 XT-PIC ide1
NMI: 0
ERR: 0

$ cat /proc/ioports
0000-001f : dma1
0020-003f : pic1
0040-005f : timer
0060-006f : keyboard
0070-007f : rtc
0080-008f : dma page reg
00a0-00bf : pic2
00c0-00df : dma2
00f0-00ff : fpu
0170-0177 : ide1
01f0-01f7 : ide0
02f8-02ff : serial
0376-0376 : ide1
03c0-03df : vga+
03f6-03f6 : ide0
03f8-03ff : serial
0cf8-0cff : PCI conf1
a000-afff : PCI Bus #01
  ac80-acff : Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS630 GUI Accelerator+3D
d000-d0ff : Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS900 10/100 Ethernet
  d000-d0ff : sis900
d400-d4ff : Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS PCI Audio Accelerator
d800-d87f : PCI device 1039:7013 (Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS])
dc00-dcff : PCI device 1039:7013 (Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS])
ff00-ff0f : Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 5513 [IDE]
  ff00-ff07 : ide0
  ff08-ff0f : ide1

ahu@snapcount:/mnt/linux-2.5.32$ egrep 'KEY|INPUT' .config
CONFIG_INPUT=y
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV=y
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_PSAUX=y
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_SCREEN_X=1024
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_SCREEN_Y=768
# CONFIG_INPUT_JOYDEV is not set
# CONFIG_INPUT_TSDEV is not set
# CONFIG_INPUT_EVDEV is not set
# CONFIG_INPUT_EVBUG is not set
CONFIG_INPUT_KEYBOARD=y
CONFIG_KEYBOARD_ATKBD=y
# CONFIG_KEYBOARD_SUNKBD is not set
# CONFIG_KEYBOARD_XTKBD is not set
# CONFIG_KEYBOARD_NEWTON is not set
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSE=y
# CONFIG_INPUT_JOYSTICK is not set
# CONFIG_INPUT_JOYDUMP is not set
# CONFIG_INPUT_TOUCHSCREEN is not set
CONFIG_INPUT_MISC=y
CONFIG_INPUT_PCSPKR=y
# CONFIG_INPUT_UINPUT is not set
# CONFIG_USB_HIDINPUT is not set
# CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_KEYSPAN_PDA is not set
# CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_KEYSPAN is not set
# CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_KEYSPAN_USA28 is not set
# CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_KEYSPAN_USA28X is not set
# CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_KEYSPAN_USA28XA is not set
# CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_KEYSPAN_USA28XB is not set
# CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_KEYSPAN_USA19 is not set
# CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_KEYSPAN_USA18X is not set
# CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_KEYSPAN_USA19W is not set
# CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_KEYSPAN_USA19QW is not set
# CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_KEYSPAN_USA19QI is not set
# CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_KEYSPAN_USA49W is not set

Let me know if there are further things I can try. I think I know where my
nullmodem cable is, so I could try that.

Kind regards,

bert hubert