Re: 2.5.33: modular ide breaks lilo ...

From: Andries Brouwer (aebr@win.tue.nl)
Date: Mon Sep 02 2002 - 12:37:48 EST

On Mon, Sep 02, 2002 at 06:27:07PM +0200, Gerd Knorr wrote:

> I've tried building the ide driver modular and insmod it using an
> initrd. The kernel boots just fine, but lilo complains:
>
> bogomips root ~# lilo
> Device 0x0300: Invalid partition table, 2nd entry
> 3D address: 1/0/262 (264096)
> Linear address: 1/10/4175 (4209030)

What LILO version?
For many versions it will suffice to give LILO the linear or lba32 option.

> I've also noticed that the fdisk output looks different depending on
> modular vs. static ide, I suspect this is related. With a modular IDE
> driver it looks like this:
>
> bogomips root ~# fdisk -l /dev/hda
>
> Disk /dev/hda: 16 heads, 63 sectors, 79780 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 1008 * 512 bytes
>
> With ide built-in statically fdisk prints this:
>
> bogomips root ~# fdisk -l
>
> Disk /dev/hda: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 5005 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes

What fdisk version? Make sure you have a recent one.
Clearly, the rest of the fdisk output is a consequence of the different
geometries. The kernel boot messages will probably tell what happened.
I must still read this part of the kernel source again to see what the
current status is.

Andries