Recoverable RAM disk

From: jbradford@dial.pipex.com
Date: Mon Sep 02 2002 - 18:48:23 EST

Hi,

I know I brought up the subject of a recoverable RAM disk some time ago, (basically, a RAM disk that survives warm boots, and that can be made bootable itself), but this might actually be a good way to implement it...

This article:

http://hedera.linuxnews.pl/_news/2002/09/03/_long/1445.html

demonstrates making a RAM disk using graphics card memory.

Now, the video ram would presumably survive a warm boot in most cases, so if we could implement this idea in kernel space, we could keep a kernel image and root filesystem in the last 12 Mb or so of graphics RAM, and warm boot very quickly.

John.