Re: PATCH - change to blkdev->queue calling triggers BUG in md.c

From: Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Date: Mon Sep 02 2002 - 22:55:47 EST

On Tue, 3 Sep 2002 Andries.Brouwer@cwi.nl wrote:

> Why?
> Because in some cases it is undesirable.

Again, Why?

You can always use the flat device as-is.

> Because in some cases it crashes the kernel.

But moving it to user space would cause the kernel to crash anyway. Bugs
are bugs.

> Because it involves guessing and heuristics.

The same guesses and heuristics would have to be in user space.

> Because policy belongs in user space.

It's not policy. It's a fact of life that disks need to be split up into
parts, and the partitioning schemes are well-defined and shared across
multiple operating systems.

> Yes - that is my main point: doing it on demand. On demand only.

But I actually _agree_ with this.

However, that has nothing to do with whether it is in user space or kernel
space. In many ways it is _easier_ to do on demand in kernel space: when
somebody opens /dev/sda1 and it isn't partitioned yet, you know it needs
to be.

The fact that partitioning right now is to some degree handled by device
drivers is a problem, but that's not a user space vs kernel space issue.
It's slowly getting moved to higher levels.

                Linus