Re: lockup on Athlon systems, kernel race condition?

From: Terence Ripperda (TRipperda@nvidia.com)
Date: Tue Sep 03 2002 - 17:04:24 EST

On Tue, Sep 03, 2002 at 11:46:11PM +0200, manfred@colorfullife.com wrote:
> Which compiler to you use, and which kernel? Which additional patches?
>
> With my 2.4.20-pre4-ac1 kernel, the lock_kernel is at offset +3a,
> according to your dump it's at +6a.

I'm using gcc 2.95.4 (on debian). The kernel I'm currently using is 2.4.19, with the kdb patch and apic_routing patches applied. Neither of these is required to reproduce the problem, they're just to help debug the problem.

that reminds me. when I originally tried to use the nmi watchdog to break into the debugger when the hang occured, I got the following at bootup:

Sep 3 14:56:49 localhost kernel: activating NMI Watchdog ... done.
Sep 3 14:56:49 localhost kernel: testing NMI watchdog ... CPU#0: NMI appears to be stuck!

> Is it possible to display the cpu registers with kdb? Could you check
> that the interrupts are enabled?

I don't have things caught in the debugger currently, but I did check the registers at the time. bit 9 of eflags was enabled on both cpus.

Terence