Re: 2.4.19 OOPS [Repost]

From: Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@suse.de)
Date: Wed Sep 04 2002 - 13:22:23 EST

On Wed, Sep 04, 2002 at 08:11:55PM +0200, lists@corewars.org wrote:
> Just in case this had someone wondering, the problem was swap
> corruption. I did an mkswap on the swap partition, and it doesn't
> OOPS anymore.

make sense.

The reason of the corruption could be from hardware fault to whatever
buggy application that played with the devices, so unless you can
reproduce I'd ignore this on the kernel side, at least on 2.4 (kernel
trusts metadata, the fs does too, kernel assumes if the data is
corrupted an I/O error has to be generated by the hardware, we can add
some check to make it more robust but it's not a 2.4 matter).

Andrea