Re: Race in shrink_cache

From: Andrew Morton (akpm@zip.com.au)
Date: Thu Sep 05 2002 - 02:53:27 EST

Daniel Phillips wrote:

> You said something about your lru locking strategy in 2.5.33-mm2. I have not
> reverse engineered it yet, would you care to wax poetic?

I'm not sure what you're after here? Strategy is to make the locks per-zone,
per-node, to not take them too long, to not take them too frequently, to do
as much *needed* work as possible for a single acquisition of the lock and
to not do unnecessary work while holding it - and that includes not servicing
ethernet interrupts.

Not having to bump page counts when moving pages from the LRU into a private
list would be nice.

The strategy for fixing the double-free race is to wait until you
buy an IDE disk ;)

The elaborate changelogs are at

http://linux.bkbits.net:8080/linux-2.5/user=akpm/ChangeSet@-4w?nav=!-|index.html|stats|!+|index.html