ARP and alias IPs

From: Andrew Ryan (genanr@emsphone.com)
Date: Thu Sep 05 2002 - 10:09:50 EST

The linux implementation of ARP is causing me problems. Linux sends out an
ARP request with the default interface as the sender address, rather than then
interface the request came on.

For example

eth0 10.1.1.100
eth0:1 192.16.1.101

and an ARP is received on 192.16.1.101, linux responds with
10.1.1.100 as the source address in the ARP request, rather than 192.16.1.101
(which FreeBSD, Solaris, and tru64 do). To me, this is just plain wrong.
The sender address should be an address on the subnet that the request came
from, not a different one. Is there any way to fix this?

Andy