Re: 2.4.20pre5aa1

From: Christoph Hellwig (hch@infradead.org)
Date: Thu Sep 05 2002 - 12:09:04 EST

On Thu, Sep 05, 2002 at 06:53:07PM +0200, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> btw, even if xfs is applied before the inode_read_write-atomic, please
> make sure xfs will learn using the i_size_read when out of the semaphore
> and i_size_write too. I know the locking is different there but I doubt
> you're just managing the i_size without races.

XFS always has the XFS i_lock around accessing it. Either in read mode
or in write mode for updates (the lock is a so-called mrlock which
basically as a rwsem with a few subtile differences).

Anyway most acceses i_size in the new code are done by the generic
code now as XFS calls it internally. Take a look at the update I sent
you a few seconds ago :)