2.4.20pre5 CONFIG_BLK_STATS breaks LVM tools

From: Andreas Steinmetz (ast@domdv.de)
Date: Thu Sep 05 2002 - 14:44:59 EST

If CONFIG_BLK_STATS is enabled in 2.4.20pre5 this breaks at least the
LVM tools. The symptom on a system running initrd to do vgscan/vgchange
to be able to boot is that after

Freeing initrd memory: 734k freed
VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).

the system hangs with the CPU under load. It is difficult for me to
investigate this further as both systems I do have available run a
LVM/reiserfs only setup and thus I can't have a look at the layout of
/proc/partitions in the CONFIG_BLK_STATS enabled page.

It would, however, be worth a word of warning in Configure.help that
this option can break userspace tools that may be important for system
boot and other system functions.

--
Andreas Steinmetz
D.O.M. Datenverarbeitung GmbH