Re: (fwd) Re: [RFC] mount flag "direct"

From: Peter T. Breuer (ptb@it.uc3m.es)
Date: Fri Sep 06 2002 - 03:57:52 EST

"Anton Altaparmakov wrote:"
> [DanP]
> >He was going to go hack the vfs, so in his mind, practical issues of how the
> >vfs works now aren't an obstacle. The only mistake he's making is seriously
> >underestimating how much effort is required to learn enough to do this kind
> >of surgery and have a remote chance that the patient will survive.
>
> Ok so he plans to rewrite the whole I/O subsystem starting from block up to
> FS drivers and VFS. Great. See him again in 10 years... And his changes

I've had a look now. I concur that e2fs at least is full of assumptions
that it has various different sorts of metadata in memory at all times.
I can't rewrite that, or even add a "warning will robinson" callback to
vfs, as I intended. What I can do, I think, is ..

.. simply do a dput of the fs root directory from time to time, from
vfs - whenever I think it is appropriate. As far as I can see from my
quick look that may cause the dcache path off that to be GC'ed. And
that may be enough to do a few experiments for O_DIRDIRECT.

Is that (approx) correct?

Peter