Re: ide drive dying?

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Fri Sep 06 2002 - 10:38:09 EST

On Fri, 2002-09-06 at 16:13, DevilKin wrote:
> hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> hda: dma_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=7072862,
> sector=1803472

That certainly looks like a drive error.

> The drive involved is an IBM-DTLA-307060, which has served me without problems
> now for about 2 years.

Get the IBM disk tools, upgrade the firmware and see what the ibm tools
have to say. IBM drives have had some problems with spontaneous bad
blocks appearing that go away with new firmware and a run of the disk
tools. More importantly if thats the problem with the firmware update
they dont come back until the drive really dies.