/dev/ entries change owner

From: Bernd Schubert (bernd-schubert@web.de)
Date: Fri Sep 06 2002 - 13:45:37 EST

Hi,

we (all adminitrators from our group) would like to know, why the owner of
/dev/ entries are changed in 2.4.x kernels on accessing them.

We DON'T use devfs, so this can't be the reason.

For example if the user joerg (in this case also an admin :) )uses the
soundcard, he magically owns all dsp-entries, though these were previously
owned by root:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Apr 12 18:35 /dev/dsp -> /dev/dsp0
crw-rw-rw- 1 joergb user 14, 3 Apr 12 18:35 /dev/dsp0
crw------- 1 joergb user 14, 19 Apr 12 18:35 /dev/dsp1
crw------- 1 joergb user 14, 35 Apr 12 18:35 /dev/dsp2
crw------- 1 joergb user 14, 51 Apr 12 18:35 /dev/dsp3

Or if the user sven (no admin, so no root rights so he has no possibility to
affect this behaviour) uses the floppy drive:

brw------- 1 sven user 2, 0 Sep 24 2001 /dev/fd0

Unfortunality this causes that no other user might use the floppy drive -- a
desaster in a multi user environment (our group has over 40 members).

This seems to happen to lots of devices (another example are tty's) and it is
distribution independent (I see it at home (Slackware) and at work (Suse)).

Any suggestions what I could do ???

Thanks in advance for your help,

Bernd

--