Re: Early SPECWeb99 results on 2.5.33 with TSO on e1000

From: David S. Miller (davem@redhat.com)
Date: Fri Sep 06 2002 - 13:58:04 EST

   From: Gerrit Huizenga <gh@us.ibm.com>
   Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2002 11:57:39 -0700

   Out of curiosity, and primarily for my own edification, what kind
   of optimization does it do when everything is generated by a java/
   perl/python/homebrew script and pasted together by something which
   consults a content manager. In a few of the cases that I know of,
   there isn't really any static content to cache... And why is this
   something that Apache couldn't/shouldn't be doing?

The kernel exec's the CGI process from the TUX server and pipes the
output directly into a networking socket.

Because it is cheaper to create a new fresh user thread from within
the kernel (ie. we don't have to fork() apache and thus dup it's
address space), it is faster.