[OT] Re: Radeon DRM lockup

From: J Sloan (jjs@lexus.com)
Date: Fri Sep 06 2002 - 14:41:15 EST

Just my $.02 -

The voodoo cards worked fine for me -
Accelerated 3D was fast and reliable -
but alas, 3dfx is no more.

I tried an ATI radeon card, which worked OK
in some scenarios, but would reliably lock the
box up solidly (no ping, no sysrq) the moment
I would start a game of wolfenstein.

Since switching to nvida cards there've been no
lockups, and performance has been great - this
on 3 different systems over the past year or so.

I always grab the NVidia driver tarball and compile
against the current kernel - I've seen way too
many horror stories with folks using the binary
rpms that nvidia also provides.

Joe