Re: ide drive dying?

From: Andre Hedrick (andre@linux-ide.org)
Date: Sat Sep 07 2002 - 02:02:36 EST

First BACK up what is left.

Next dig out smartsuite from http://www.linux-ide.org/smart.html

Run it in full capture mode, please use another disk to run root, or the
system will tank.

Read and save smart logs.

cat /dev/zero > /dev/hd{IBM-DTLA-307060}x

Rerun Smart in full capture mode.

Reread smart logs and compare.

cat /dev/urandom > /dev/hd{IBM-DTLA-307060}x

If you get no errors you can reuse the drive, for how long? Maybe 6 months
to a year.

Now, I can not tell you what, why, how things are going on.
Sheesh, I expect to be in a deep six for this series of events already.

Sorry, I can not say anymore.

If you do not like the above, you need to run out and buy another drive
fast.

Cheers,