Re: ide drive dying?

From: Daniel Egger (degger@fhm.edu)
Date: Sat Sep 07 2002 - 07:31:23 EST

Am Fre, 2002-09-06 um 21.22 schrieb DevilKin:

> Well, there were 21 ATA errors, and it showed 5 error blocks, with disk 'live'
> times of 629 hours.

No wonder it ran for 2 years. Are you using this machine frequently at
all? :)

> The tests showed bad sectors, i'm currently running a disk erase.

This is exactly the mistake I've been meaning to warn you of.
The disk will corrupt sooner or later again and you'll have to go
through all the torture (possible backup/restore, missing data) again
and if you're unlucky (which is quite possible with your frequency of
use) the warranty is void until the problems appear the next time.

--
Servus,
       Daniel