Re: ide drive dying?

From: jbradford@dial.pipex.com
Date: Sat Sep 07 2002 - 11:31:50 EST

> I wonder if it would be possible for the driver to monitor SMART and
> lighten the load on the drive when things don't seem normal.

I think it would be fun to have SMART monitoring in the driver, but I'm not sure it's worth the bloat. It *can* be done in userspace, afterall.

> What is normal, anyway?

Not sure what 'normal' is, but the manufacturer defines thresholds, which are to be interpreted as 'drive is failing' if they are exceeded.

> I don't really believe the 310617 power on hours my Maxtor (the old 60
> gig with 4 platters) claims, either.

That's because it's reporting power on time in minutes :-)

John.