Re: Problem: kernel 2.5.33 won't compile

From: Adrian Bunk (bunk@fs.tum.de)
Date: Sat Sep 07 2002 - 18:08:59 EST

On Sat, 7 Sep 2002, Sam Ravnborg wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 06, 2002 at 06:05:52PM -0400, Adam Johnson wrote:
> > I get this error message when I try to compile 2.5.33:
> > drivers/built-in.o(.data+0x2d8d4): undefined reference to `local symbols
> > in discarded section .text.exit'
>
> Try seaching ihttp://marc.theaimsgroup.com
> Hint: binutils compatibility problem, time to upgrade.

Your answer is 100% wrong:

- You see this problem only with recent binutils, so a workaround would be
  to _downgrade_ binutils.
- These .text.exit errors are generally considered bugs in the kernel.
  (Most of them are already fixed in recent kernels.)
- I suspect CONFIG_DE2104X and/or CONFIG_DM9102 is set in the .config, and
  then it's a well-known error.

> Sam

cu
Adrian

--

You only think this is a free country. Like the US the UK spends a lot of time explaining its a free country because its a police state. Alan Cox