Re: ide drive dying?

From: Nuitari (nuitari@balthasar.nuitari.net)
Date: Sun Sep 08 2002 - 21:37:11 EST

On Sun, 8 Sep 2002 jbradford@dial.pipex.com wrote:

> > Keep your drive cool and you can expect to keep it around for a very
> > long time.
>
> In a large tower case, it is worth while to leave a drive bay free between disks, instead of using them sequentially, like this:
>
> ------ ------
> |****| |****|
> ------ ------
> | | |****|
> ------ ------
> |****| |****|
> ------ instead of ------
> | | | |
> ------ ------
> |****| | |
> ------ ------
> | | | |
> ------ ------
>
> Also, if you get a disk that suddenly doesn't spin up, don't assume that
> the motor has died - you can sometimes bring them back to life by
> connecting power to them, and giving them a very sharp angular jolt in
> the plane of the platters - the effect is called static friction,
> (A.K.A. stiction)

Depends on the ventilation you can put.
In this computer I have all bays (5 1/4 and 3 1/2) full and the
temperature doesn't get over 30
There is a total of 4 HDs and 3CDs drives.

I think the spacing depends on the heat output of the drives.
I use my 2 Samsungs (they are always cold) between the Maxtor (makes a
lot of heat) and Fujitsu.

Of course the best is to strap 6" fans in front of them (which I did to
cool a stack of 6 full height disks that I put in an old full tower
cases).