RE: Calculating kernel logical address ..

From: Imran Badr (imran.badr@cavium.com)
Date: Mon Sep 09 2002 - 17:52:12 EST

But the buffer which I am concerned about was allocated my kmalloc() and
mapped to the process space in mmap(). AFAIK, kmalloc'ed buffers are
guaranteed to be mapped.

Here is how I am doing it:

1) Implement mmap method in driver.
2) allocate memory by kmalloc()
3) set reserved bit for all allocated pages.
4) set VM_LOCKED flag on the memory aread. ( vma->flags |= VM_LOCKED; )
5) call remap_page_range() to map physical address of the buffer to the user
space address.

I have posted the complete code in a previous post under the same subject.
Now in ioctl() method, the user gives me the memory address. I know that it
was mmaped by looking at the ioctl code. Now I have to calculate physical
address of the user memory address. I know that it was allocated my kmalloc
so it should be mapped. I am currently accessing the process page tables to
find the kernel logical address so that I could use virt_to_bus() to get bus
address.

adr = user_address;
pgd_offset(current->mm, adr);
if (!pgd_none(*pgd)) {
        pmd = pmd_offset(pgd, adr);
        if (!pmd_none(*pmd)) {
                ptep = pte_offset(pmd, adr);
                pte = *ptep;
                if(pte_present(pte)) {
                        kaddr = (unsigned long) page_address(pte_page(pte));
                        kaddr |= (adr & (PAGE_SIZE - 1));
                }
        }
}

One suggestion was to use get_user_pages() after getting appropriate
semaphore but I have learned that this API is fundamentally broken for
architectures with noncoherent caches. Does any body has any solution?

Thanks,
Imran.