Re: invalidate_inode_pages in 2.5.32/3

From: Daniel Phillips (phillips@arcor.de)
Date: Mon Sep 09 2002 - 20:07:00 EST

On Tuesday 10 September 2002 01:51, Chuck Lever wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Sep 2002, Daniel Phillips wrote:
> > On Tuesday 10 September 2002 00:03, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > > But there are
> > > apparently reasons why NFS cannot sleepingly lock pages in this
> > > particular context.
> >
> > If only we knew what those were. It's hard to keep the word 'bogosity'
> > from popping into my head.
>
> rpciod must never call a function that sleeps. if this happens, the whole
> NFS client stops working until the function wakes up again. this is not
> really bogus -- it is similar to restrictions placed on socket callbacks.

Ah, a warm body with answers :-)

It *sounds* bogus: why should we be satisfied with a function that doesn't
do its job reliably (invalidate_inode_pages) in order to avoid coming up
with a way of keeping the client daemon from blocking? How about having
invalidate_inode_pages come back with "sorry boss, I couldn't complete the
job so I started as much IO as I could and I'm back now, try again later"?

> async RPC tasks (ie, the rpciod process) invokes invalidate_inode_pages
> during normal, everyday processing, so it must not sleep. that's why it
> today ignores locked pages.

OK, that's half the job, the other half is to know that something's been
ignored, and get back to it later. Either there is a valid reason for
getting rid of these pages or there isn't, and if there is a valid reason,
then getting rid of only some of them must surely leave the door wide
open to strange misbehaviour.

> thus:
>
> 1. whatever function purges a file's cached data must not sleep when
> invoked from an async RPC task.

[otherwise other tasks using the client will stall needlessly]

> ...likewise, such a function must not
> sleep if the caller holds the file's i_sem.
>
> 2. access to the file must be serialized somehow with in-flight I/O
> (locked pages). we don't want to start new reads before all dirty
> pages have been flushed back to the server. dirty pages that have
> not yet been scheduled must be dealt with correctly.

State machine!

> 3. mmap'd pages must behave reasonably when a file's cache is purged.
> clean pages should be faulted back in. what to do with dirty mmap'd
> pages?

I don't know, sorry. What?

You've probably been through this before, but could you please explain
the ground rules behind the cache purging strategy?

--
Daniel