Re: the userspace side of driverfs

From: Greg KH (greg@kroah.com)
Date: Tue Sep 10 2002 - 21:16:10 EST

On Tue, Sep 10, 2002 at 06:18:37PM -0700, Nicholas Miell wrote:
> - "name" isn't particularly consistent. Sometimes it requires parsing to
> be useful ("PCI device 1234:1234", "USB device 1234:1234", etc.",
> sometimes it's the actual device name, sometimes it's something strange
> like "Hub/Port Status Changes".

The "Hub/Port..." thing will change, I have a large "struct
device_driver" patch for the USB code that is still being worked on
before going into the kernel, and this is changed in that patch.. For
all other "name" files, it's something that makes sense for the device,
and can be parsed by a human. For some USB devices, they provide device
and manufacturer strings, so that information is provided. Other
devices do not, so we guess the best that we can.

thanks,

greg k-h