Re: 2.4.18 serial drops characters with 16654

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Thu Sep 12 2002 - 03:20:55 EST

On Thu, 2002-09-12 at 00:12, Andreas Steinmetz wrote:
> I did see something that looks quite similarl like dropped characters on
> Redhat and 2.4.9 based UP systems (that's customers choice and couldn't
> be changed) equipped with a NS-87336.
> I can't go into detail but my company did port an application from DOS
> to Linux. The application communicates with an electronic cash device

Other than the usual PIO mode IDE suspects I've had no problems going up
to 460800bps with a decent UART (ie one with a fifo). At 920Kbit/sec you
begin to overrun the flip buffers if you run with the usual 100Mhz timer
tick.

2.4 is a bit worse nowdays because of the ksoftirqd stuff but you could
easily disable that if you think it is triggering.