Re: [OFFTOPIC] Spamcop

From: Vojtech Pavlik (vojtech@suse.cz)
Date: Thu Sep 12 2002 - 16:31:15 EST

On Thu, Sep 12, 2002 at 02:13:38PM -0700, Larry McVoy wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 12, 2002 at 05:06:15PM -0400, Gerhard Mack wrote:
> > Check your logs .. it looks like maybe somone was sending spoofed
> > requests? Either that or somone was a total dumbass.
> >
> > I wonder how hard it is to generate enough requests to get somone listed.
>
> In the for what it is worth department, I got mail from "esr@thyrus.org"
> with a subject of "cool game" or something like that, and it was obviously
> forged. It's interesting that they are getting smart enough to make it look
> like it comes from someone that you've communicated with in the past. Sigh.

That's an internet worm, called klez. I'm getting more than 10 of these daily.
Each is a meg of data. And I'm also getting responses from various
mailservers which received the worm with my From: address. It generates
both From: and To: randomly based on the victims Outlook addressbook.

--
Vojtech Pavlik
SuSE Labs