Re: invalidate_inode_pages in 2.5.32/3

From: Daniel Phillips (phillips@arcor.de)
Date: Thu Sep 12 2002 - 16:52:13 EST

On Thursday 12 September 2002 23:38, Andrew Morton wrote:
> Daniel Phillips wrote:

> > > Is it not possible to co-opt a user process to perform the
> > > invalidation? Just
> > >
> > > inode->is_kaput = 1;
> > >
> > > in rpciod?
> >
> > There must be a way. The key thing the VM needs to provide, and doesn't
> > now, is a function callable by the rpciod that will report to the caller
> > whether it was able to complete the invalidation without blocking. (I
> > think I'm just rephrasing someone's earlier suggestion here.)
> >
> > I'm now thinking in general terms about how to concoct a mechanism
> > that lets rpciod retry the invalidation later, for all those that turn
> > out to be blocking. For example, rpciod could just keep a list of
> > all pending invalidates and retry each inode on the list every time
> > it has nothing to do. This is crude and n-squarish, but it would
> > work. Maybe it's efficient enough for the time being. At least it's
> > correct, which would be a step forward.
>
> rpciod is the wrong process to be performing this operation. I'd suggest
> the userspace process which wants to read the directory be used for this.

It's not just directories as I understand it, it's also any file that's
locked or unlocked.

If we make userspace do it, we need an interface. Is there

> > Did you have some specific mechanism in mind?
>
> Testing mapping->nrpages will tell you if the invalidation was successful.

That's nice, so may be no need for a new flavor of invalidate_inode_pages
to write, but what I was really talking about is what should be done
after discovering it failed.

Another thing: we only care about pages that were in the mapping at the
time of the original invalidate attempt. Coming back and invalidating
a bunch of pages that were already properly re-read from the server,
just to get those few we missed on the first attempt would be, in a
word, horrible.

This one is harder than it first seems. It's worth putting in the
effort to do the job correctly though. The current arrangement is,
err, unreliable.

--
Daniel