Re: XFS?

From: Kostadin Karaivanov (larry@minfin.government.bg)
Date: Fri Sep 13 2002 - 05:52:50 EST

>I think that it is not fair to insist for merging of XFS only. There ara
>many other projects that are of bigger value for linux then iet another
>filesystem - RSBAC,OpenMosix,LSM,HTree and more.

LSM is mainstream now
OpenMosix si too intrusive (I think) as XFS _used_ to_ be_.....

>Some people like Linus, Alan, Marchelo etc. have the responsibility to
>provide users with a usable, stable kernel.
>And if somebody doesn't like their way of work he is free to make it's own
>kernel tree.

>I am not an expert, just a sysadmin, and I am testing XFS since kernel
>2.4.6 ( I am writing this mail from a test machine with kernel 2.4.18
>and XFS root filesystem ), and I also think that XFS is not ready for
>production ( I lost some unimportant files after a crash yesterday ).

You missing the point again, "ready" does _not_ means "stable"
I use XFS on allmost all of my PC/Servers and I never ever lose a single dot
in any file on my XFS partitions

>And after all do you think that such kind of presure over kernel
>maintainers is the way of making free software.

Kostadin Karaivanov
Senior System Administrator @ Ministry Of Finace
tel: +359 2 98592062
larry@minfin.government.bg