Re: 34-mm2 ide problems - unexpected interrupt

From: Ed Tomlinson (tomlins@cam.org)
Date: Fri Sep 13 2002 - 06:36:36 EST

On September 13, 2002 02:06 am, Jens Axboe wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 12 2002, Ed Tomlinson wrote:

> > > just delete the printk from ide.c:ide_intr(), it's not useful on
> > > adapters with shared interrupts. patch has already been sent to Linus.
> > >
> > > feedback on success/problems with 34-mm2 (it seems to include bk
> > > patches up until now?) ide would also be appreciated.
> >
> > No luck. Without the printk it just sits there. When the printk is
> > enabled there are hundreds (maybe thousands) of messages.
>
> "just sits there" how? It stalls a boot? And where? Does

It sits at the same point I started getting the unexpected interrupt message.
I waited over five minutes to see if the boot would resume.

> 2.4.20-pre5-ac4 work for you?

I have not built any of the recient ac series - been waiting for a reiserfs patch.
Will try 2.4.20-pre5-ac4 and pre6-acx tonight.

> > I also noticed that DMA was disabled on hda. This drive works at
> > UDMA2 without any problems. The drives on promise controller should
> > be able use support UDMA4 but timeout within 24hours when using it.
> > Degrading to UDMA2 lets me go weeks with problems (up to 2.4.19-ac2).
>
> So I'm thinking that you did get it to boot.

No. The boot stalled. The hda stuff is from the dmseg log on a serial
console. The other comments on general info on long standing promise
issues (hopfully fixed in ac).

> Ed, I'm sorry but your report is woefully inadequate to diagnose
> anything :-)

Realize how anemic this report is. I am willing to get more info on
this - just am not sure what you need or how to get the info. IDE and
the boot sequence is not an area of the kernel I know much about.

Please let me know what would give you the best clues.

Meanwhile I wil try the recient ac(s).

Ed