Bug in 2.4.19 RAM Disk handling

From: Jason Baker (baker@cyborgworkshop.com)
Date: Fri Sep 13 2002 - 18:20:11 EST

I think I may have come across a bug in the way that 2.4.19 handles RAM
disks. When creating a RAM disk, you can only use /dev/ram0, regardless
of what device you specify to use.

I have a project that uses a lot of Ram Disks, and as such, I create them
on /dev/ram0, /dev/ram1, etc. When I upgraded to kernel 2.4.19 from
2.4.18 doing a make oldconfig and not selecting any new options, I can now
only creat a ram disk on /dev/ram0. If I try to create a ram disk on
/dev/ram1 after creating one on /dev/ram0, I get an error about /dev/ram0
already being in use. Downgrading to kernel 2.4.18 does not exhibit this
behaviour, I can make multiple RAM disks.

                 Jason