Re: Good way to free as much memory as possible under 2.5.34?

From: Andrew Morton (akpm@digeo.com)
Date: Sat Sep 14 2002 - 08:57:46 EST

Pavel Machek wrote:

> Hi!

> > > "Fixing" the VM just so it behaves the way swsuspend wants is
> > > out. If swsuspend relies on all other subsystems playing nicely,
> > > I think it should be removed from the kernel.
> > >

> > Yup. Martin Bligh is cooking up a multi-page allocation API, so when that's
> > in place, swsusp need only do:
> >
> > LIST_HEAD(foo);
> > alloc_many_pages(&foo, nr_pages, __GFP_HIGHMEM|__GFP_WAIT);
> > free_many_pages(&foo);
> >
> > So I suggest you do something local for the while, plan to use that later.
> >
> > (Actually, the implementation would probably have a heart attack if you
> > asked for 100,000 pages so you may need to sit in a loop there;
> > we'll see).
>
> If nr_pages is > than number of pages really freable will it return
> NULL or stall the calling process forever?

Good point. In current Linus tree, it could be oom-killed. Later,
lack of __GFP_FS will prevent that. But it could loop forever.
I guess you'll need to drop the __GFP_WAIT and yield yourself, let
kswapd free the next batch of pages.

We need to do something more robust than this. I'll cook something up.