Re: Good way to free as much memory as possible under 2.5.34?

From: Hans-Peter Jansen (hpj@urpla.net)
Date: Sat Sep 14 2002 - 09:51:00 EST

Hi Rik,

On Friday 13 September 2002 23:33, Rik van Riel wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Sep 2002, Pavel Machek wrote:
> > Allocating memory is pain because I have to free it afterwards. Yep I
> > have such code, but it is ugly. try_to_free_pages() really seems like
> > cleaner solution to me... if you only tell me how to fix it :-).
>
> "Fixing" the VM just so it behaves the way swsuspend wants is
> out. If swsuspend relies on all other subsystems playing nicely,
> I think it should be removed from the kernel.

> I suspect only very few people will use swsuspend, so it should
> not be intrusive.

By now, it's only used by a minority (those, who get it going reliably),
but I bet, things change, when 2.6 is out. I would love and even celebrate
once swsuspend is working via nbd for my diskless setups. I consider
this as a real quantum leap (from a usability/energy saving point of view).

The question is: why is the VM not able to fulfill such a simple need in
a clean way?

> regards,
>
> Rik

Regards,