Re: DMA problems w/ PIIX3 IDE, 2.4.20-pre4-ac2

From: Florian Hinzmann (f.hinzmann@hamburg.de)
Date: Mon Sep 16 2002 - 03:58:01 EST

Hello!

On 14-Sep-2002 Jan-Hinnerk Reichert wrote:

> Florian Hinzmann wrote:

>> I have problems with DMA mode at one of my boxes ( more technical
>> details at the end of this mail ).
> [...]
>> But I do issue a "hdparm -d0" for each of them at bootup currently and
>> they are running fine then. Enabling DMA with "hdparm -d1" (or not using
>> hdparm at all) leads to errors like the following quite fast and
>> reproducable:
>>
>> kernel: hdb: dma_timer_expiry: dma status == 0x60
>> kernel: hdb: timeout waiting for DMA
>> kernel: hdb: timeout waiting for DMA
>> kernel: hdb: (__ide_dma_test_irq) called while not waiting
>> kernel: hdb: status error: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete
>> DataRequest } kernel:
>> kernel: hdb: drive not ready for command
>>
>> Turning DMA off again stops these.
>>

>> I'd love to hear any experience other people have with this mainboard
>> or even some statement if DMA is supposed to work with my setup.
>
> I had some problems like this using 2.4.17 on a PIIX3 board (don't know the
> board type). The problems disappeared after switching to 2.4.19.
> Unforunately I had to change the processor and processor fan about the same
> time.
>
> I tend to believe that this problem was related to CPU temperature not to

I don't think cpu temperature is the problem in my case. The fan is
working well and the box is running stable with high load for hours/days
while there is no heavy disk activity. But copying files for some minutes
kills it reliably.
But I will try to watch this more closely. Might running the CPU with
100MHz instead of 200MHz to keep it cooler be worth a try? I could try to
find another CPU to put into my machine, too.

Greetings
     Florian

--
  Florian Hinzmann                         private: f.hinzmann@hamburg.de