Re: TPC-C benchmark used standard RH kernel

From: Martin J. Bligh (mbligh@aracnet.com)
Date: Thu Sep 19 2002 - 14:05:36 EST

> Could we have gotten better performance by patching the kernel? Sure. There are many new features in 2.5 that would enhance database performance. However, the fairly strict support requirements of TPC benchmarking mean that we need to benchmark a kernel that a Linux distributor ships and can support.
> Modifications could also be taken to the extreme, and we could have built a screamer kernel that runs Oracle TPC-C's and nothing else. However, that doesn't really tell us anything useful and doesn't help those customers thinking about running Linux. The question also becomes "Who would provide customer support for that kernel?"

Unofficial results for 2.5 vs 2.4 (or 2.4-redhatAS) would be most
interesting if you're able to gather them, and still have the
machine. Most times you can avoid their draconian rules by saying
"on a large benchmark test that I can't name but you all know what
it is ..." instead of naming it ... ;-)

M.