Re: [ANNOUNCE] Native POSIX Thread Library 0.1

From: Ingo Molnar (mingo@elte.hu)
Date: Fri Sep 20 2002 - 23:48:40 EST

On Fri, 20 Sep 2002, Bill Huey wrote:

> The JVM with incremental GC is being targetted for media oriented tasks
> using the new NIO, 3d library, etc... slowness in safepoints would
> cripple it for these tasks. It's a critical item and not easily address
> by the current 1:1 model.

actually, in the previous mail i've outlined a sensible way to help
safepoints in the kernel, for the case of the 1:1 model. I'd not call that
'not easily addressed' :-)

there's an even more advanced way to expose preempted user contexts in the
1:1 model: by putting most of the the register info (which is now dumped
into the kernel stack) into a page that is also mapped into user-space.
This too introduces (constant) syscall entry/exit overhead, but can be
done if justified.

        Ingo