Re: Quick aic7xxx bug hunt...

From: Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com)
Date: Mon Sep 23 2002 - 17:18:55 EST

Justin T. Gibbs wrote:
> I somewhat doubt that any CPU would hold onto a posted write for 200us
> since you are not guaranteed that a read will occur quickly and you want
> those write buffers to be availble for other clients, but regardless, the
> code has not been as you describe since November of last year.

Great, I stand corrected. Looks like 2.5 code is ancient then?

comments on the 2.4 code:
* the 1000us delay in ahc_reset needs to be turned into a sleep, instead
all paths to that function [AFAICS] can sleep. likewise for the huge
delay in ahc_acquire_seeprom.

* 400ms worst case udelay() is in ahc_clear_critical_section is kinda
annoying [but I suppose it can be lived with, if the average is a lot
less than that :)]

* the delay in ahc_init should be replaced with a sleep

* PCI posting? (aic7xxx_core.c, line 1322, the last statement in the
function...)

                 ahc_outb(ahc, CLRINT, CLRSCSIINT);

I'll look it over some more later.