Re: [ANNOUNCE] Native POSIX Thread Library 0.1

From: Ingo Molnar (mingo@elte.hu)
Date: Tue Sep 24 2002 - 00:47:14 EST

On Tue, 24 Sep 2002, Rusty Russell wrote:

> > > Is this related to the thread library work that IBM was doing or was
> > > this independently developed?
> >
> > independently developed.
>
> And, ironically, using the futex implementation developed on IBM time 8).

you are right, futexes are really important for all the userspace locking
primitives and thread-joining. And like basically all core kernel code,
futexes were a collaborative effort as well:

 * Thanks to Ben LaHaise for yelling "hashed waitqueues" loudly
 * enough at me, Linus for the original (flawed) idea, Matthew
 * Kirkwood for proof-of-concept implementation.

there are so many prerequisites to this that it's impossible to list them
all. What i meant above were the specific patches developed for recent 2.5
kernels, and the library itself.

        Ingo