Re: Framebuffer still "EXPERIMENTAL"?

From: jbradford@dial.pipex.com
Date: Fri Sep 27 2002 - 06:06:24 EST

> Hello Listees,
> yesterday I compiled 2.5.38 for the first time and noticed that the
> framebuffer option is still marked "EXPERIMENTAL". Well, I know for sure
> that I used the VESA-FB 3 years ago to get X running on a strange laptop
> graphic chip, so it is at least that long available (actually I think it
> got introduced for the Sparc port somewhen in 1995??).
>
> I think it's about time to promote the framebuffer code to a full fledged
> kernel feature. Comments?

I've noticed a bug with it, but haven't had time to investigate more fully, infact it might not be a kernel bug, but I suspect that it is. I don't usually use the framebuffer, (I prefer the standard text mode).

On a standard Slackware 8.1 install, (kernel 2.4.18), on a machine with an ATI graphics card, and with the framebuffer enabled, if you type clear, then fill the screen with text so that it scrolls, (e.g. do a find /), the top four lines where the penguin used to be do not scroll, they just keep the text that is originally put there. If you press shift-pageup, and then shift-pagedown, it fixes it.

If anybody has got the time to look in to this, I'll post more details.

John.