Re: Warning - running *really* short on DMA buffers while doing file transfers

From: Jens Axboe (axboe@suse.de)
Date: Fri Sep 27 2002 - 10:37:51 EST

On Fri, Sep 27 2002, Matthew Jacob wrote:

> > If you don't like this behavior, which actually maximizes the
> > throughput of the device, have the I/O scheduler hold back a single
> > processes from creating such a large backlog.
>

> Justin and I are (for once) in 100% agreement.

Well Justin and you are both, it seems, missing the point.

I'm now saying for the 3rd time, that there's zero problem in having a
huge dirty cache backlog. This is not the problem, please disregard any
reference to that. Count only the time spent for servicing a read
request, _from when it enters the drive_ and until it completes. IO
scheduler is _not_ involved.

--
Jens Axboe