USB Mass Storage Conflicts

From: Stephen Marz (smarz@host187.south.iit.edu)
Date: Sun Sep 29 2002 - 14:39:43 EST

The same problem that I had from kernel 2.4.18-10 is also happening in
kernel 2.5.39. I have mostly narrowed this down to the ehci-hcd module as
I can unload the module and everything works normally.

My problem occurs when I attach two USB 2.0 mass storage devices (a 120 GB
hard drive and a 16x IOMEGA CD-RW) to my cardbus USB 2.0 controller. My
CD-RW acts very strange and cdrecord is unable to even determine the name
of the device (through cdrecord -scanbus).

Anyway, after a while, the hard drive will stop responding and a few error
messages will occur from scsi and ext3:

SCSI disk error : host 0 channel 0 lun 0 return code = 70000
end_request: I/O error, dev 08:00 sector 13638947
Buffer I/O error on device sd(8,2), logical block 1441804

I got the device to once again respond by unplugging the hard drive
and plugging it back in.

Thanks,

Stephen Marz