Re: v2.6 vs v3.0

From: Kevin Corry (corryk@us.ibm.com)
Date: Mon Sep 30 2002 - 09:26:56 EST

On Monday 30 September 2002 08:49, Michael Clark wrote:
> On 09/30/02 21:05, Kevin Corry wrote:
> > EVMS is now up-to-date and running on 2.5.39. You can get the latest
> > kernel code from CVS (http://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=25076) or
> > Bitkeepr (http://evms.bkbits.net/). There will be a new, full release
> > (1.2) coming out this week.
>
> Yes, i just booted up with EVMS CVS on 2.5.39. Detected all my LVM LV's
> fine. After cautious tests with them mounted ro, i then preceded to mount
> them rw and continued boot up. Working fine so far. Great work.
>
> All i needed to do was change my vgscan to evms_vgscan and adjust my mount
> points to the new style ( /dev/evms/lvm/<vg></<lv> ).

Instead of using "evms_vgscan", you should probably run "evms_rediscover".
But you really only need that if you've compiled EVMS as modules in your
kernel.

For volume admin tasks, I would recommend using "evmsgui" if you have X
available, or "evmsn" if you need text-mode.

The LVM-style commands (like evms_vgscan) were originally written as testing
tools before we had the fully-functional UIs. They were left around as kind
of a proof-of-concept that the EVMS engine library API can be used to emulate
existing volume management tools.

--
Kevin Corry
corryk@us.ibm.com