Re: [BENCHMARK] 2.5.39-mm1

From: Andrew Morton (akpm@digeo.com)
Date: Mon Sep 30 2002 - 14:36:48 EST

Con Kolivas wrote:

> Here follow the contest v0.41 (http://contest.kolivas.net) results for
> 2.5.39-mm1:
>
> noload:
> Kernel Time CPU Ratio
> 2.4.19 67.71 98% 1.00
> 2.5.38 72.38 94% 1.07
> 2.5.38-mm3 73.00 93% 1.08
> 2.5.39 73.17 93% 1.08
> 2.5.39-mm1 72.97 94% 1.08

2.4.19 achieves higher CPU occupancy - you're using `make -j4', so it
could be a CPU scheduler artifact, or a disk readahead latency effect.

Is the kernel source in-cache for these runs?

> process_load:
> Kernel Time CPU Ratio
> 2.4.19 110.75 57% 1.64
> 2.5.38 85.71 79% 1.27
> 2.5.38-mm3 96.32 72% 1.42
> 2.5.39 88.9 75% 1.33*
> 2.5.39-mm1 99.0 69% 1.45*

Not sure what to make of this test. We have a bunch of tasks
sending data between each other across pipes while trying to
build a kernel.

It could be that with 2.4.19, those piping processes got a lot
more work done.

I'd be inclined to drop this test; not sure what it means.

> io_load:
> Kernel Time CPU Ratio
> 2.4.19 216.05 33% 3.19
> 2.5.38 887.76 8% 13.11
> 2.5.38-mm3 105.17 70% 1.55
> 2.5.39 229.4 34% 3.4
> 2.5.39-mm1 239.5 33% 3.4

I think I'll set fifo_batch to 16 again...