Re: export of sys_call_table

From: Brian F. G. Bidulock (bidulock@openss7.org)
Date: Thu Oct 03 2002 - 18:06:08 EST

Alan,

Would it be possible to put a secondary call table behind
the call gate wrappered in sys_ni_syscall that a module
could register against. Is it merely the fact that the
call gate table itself must be static? A secondary table
and a mechanism to register against the secondary table with
kernel locks taken behind the call gate would be trivial,
I think.

Does that sound like the best way to go about it?

--brian

On Thu, 03 Oct 2002, Alan Cox wrote:

> On Thu, 2002-10-03 at 22:39, Brian F. G. Bidulock wrote:
> > I see that RH, in their infinite wisdom, have seen fit to remove
> > the export of sys_call_table in 8.0 kernels breaking any loadable
> > modules that wish to implement non-implemented system calls such
> > as LiS's or iBCS implementation of putmsg/getmsg.
>
> Overwriting syscall table entries is not safe. Its not safe because
> there is no locking mechanism, and its not safe because of the pentium
> III errata.
>
> > Until now, loadable modules have been able to just overwrite
> > the non implemented point in the sys_call_table when they load
> > and putting it back when they unload. There is no mechanism
> > for registering system calls.
>
> Not actually safely implementable. The right way to do this is a
> relevant 2.5 question. In general however you shouldnt need to register
> syscalls because the upper layer interfaces already exist (the LiS stuff
> is an example otherwise I grant).
>
> Alan
>
> -

Brian F. G. Bidulock    ¦ The reasonable man adapts himself to the ¦
bidulock@openss7.org    ¦ world; the unreasonable one persists in  ¦
http://www.openss7.org/ ¦ trying  to adapt the  world  to himself. ¦
                        ¦ Therefore  all  progress  depends on the ¦
                        ¦ unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw ¦