New BK License Problem?

Date: Fri Oct 04 2002 - 15:55:55 EST

Greetings all,

I noticed Larry recently changed the license on bk. Once clause in
particular struck me and I thought I'd better point it out for your

Specifically from Section 3:

        (d) Notwithstanding any other terms in this License, this
             License is not available to You if You and/or your
             employer develop, produce, sell, and/or resell a
             product which contains substantially similar capabil-
             ities of the BitKeeper Software, or, in the reason-
             able opinion of BitMover, competes with the BitKeeper

Doesn't this affect maintainers all across the map that work for
distros such as RedHat, SuSE, Connectiva, etc? Obviously these distros
SELL as part of their respective products CVS and similar tools. Or
even non-distro open source shops, you even resell CVS or the like in
some way and you'd be in trouble.

While I am all for Larry having a profitable business, this would seem
to be a change which is not Open Source developer friendly.

the body of a message to
More majordomo info at
Please read the FAQ at