[BENCHMARK] contest 0.50 results to date

From: Con Kolivas (conman@kolivas.net)
Date: Sat Oct 05 2002 - 00:59:24 EST

Here are the updated contest (http://contest.kolivas.net) benchmarks with
version 0.50

noload:
Kernel [runs] Time CPU% Loads LCPU% Ratio
2.4.19 [3] 67.7 98 0 0 1.01
2.4.19-cc [3] 67.9 97 0 0 1.01
2.5.38 [3] 72.0 93 0 0 1.07
2.5.38-mm3 [2] 71.8 93 0 0 1.07
2.5.39 [2] 72.2 93 0 0 1.07
2.5.39-mm1 [2] 72.3 93 0 0 1.08
2.5.40 [1] 72.5 93 0 0 1.08
2.5.40-mm1 [1] 72.9 93 0 0 1.09

process_load:
Kernel [runs] Time CPU% Loads LCPU% Ratio
2.4.19 [3] 106.5 59 112 43 1.59
2.4.19-cc [3] 105.0 59 110 42 1.56
2.5.38 [3] 89.5 74 34 28 1.33
2.5.38-mm3 [1] 86.0 78 29 25 1.28
2.5.39 [2] 91.2 73 36 28 1.36
2.5.39-mm1 [2] 92.0 73 37 29 1.37
2.5.40 [2] 82.8 80 25 23 1.23
2.5.40-mm1 [2] 86.9 77 30 25 1.29

io_load:
Kernel [runs] Time CPU% Loads LCPU% Ratio
2.4.19 [3] 492.6 14 38 10 7.33
2.4.19-cc [3] 156.0 48 12 10 2.32
2.5.38 [1] 4000.0 1 500 1 59.55
2.5.38-mm3 [1] 303.5 25 23 11 4.52
2.5.39 [2] 423.9 18 30 11 6.31
2.5.39-mm1 [2] 550.7 14 44 12 8.20
2.5.40 [1] 315.7 25 22 10 4.70
2.5.40-mm1 [1] 326.2 24 23 11 4.86

mem_load:
Kernel [runs] Time CPU% Loads LCPU% Ratio
2.4.19 [3] 100.0 72 33 3 1.49
2.4.19-cc [3] 92.7 76 146 21 1.38
2.5.38 [3] 107.3 70 34 3 1.60
2.5.38-mm3 [1] 100.3 72 27 2 1.49
2.5.39 [2] 103.1 72 31 3 1.53
2.5.39-mm1 [2] 103.3 72 32 3 1.54
2.5.40 [2] 102.5 72 31 3 1.53
2.5.40-mm1 [2] 107.7 68 29 2 1.60

Note the io_load value for 2.5.38 was an estimate as every time I tried to run
it it took too long and I stopped it (the longest I waited was 4000 seconds);
showing very clearly the write starves read problem.

Of most interest is the performance of 2.4.19 with the latest version of
compressed cache under mem_load (2.4.19-cc). Note that although the
performance is only slightly better timewise, the difference in actual work
done by the background load during that time is _enormous_. This demonstrates
most clearly the limitations in previous versions of contest.

Comments?
Con