Re: experiences with 2.5.40 on a busy usenet news server

From: Miquel van Smoorenburg (miquels@cistron.nl)
Date: Tue Oct 08 2002 - 04:36:23 EST

According to Andrew Morton:
> Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
> > # free
>
> Please always send /proc/meminfo - it's way more informative.
> A vmstat trace is also useful.

Will do next time.

> > No need to swap 364 MB when there's 872 MB still free...
> > This makes the machine dogslow. An 'expire' process that
> > runs every night normally takes 15 minutes to finish now
> > has been running for 10 hours and its still not finished.
>
> It must be doing a ton of IO?

Oh yes. This is a usenet news server, 50 mbit/sec
sustained in, 100 mbit/sec sustained out, and it's all being
cached on disk. See http://newsgate.cistron.nl/

> You'll probably find that 2.5.41-mm1 does not swap at all; but
> I'd need to see meminfo to know.

Right now I've not rebooted but instead I turned off swap. It
has enough memory anyway.

The 'expire' process that ran for 10 hours finished within
2 minutes, load went down from 6 to 1.8, and traffic volume
is climbing again.

I'll let it run like this for a few hours so it can catch up
with the backlog my peers have to me, then in the afternoon I'll
try 2.5.41-mm<latest> on it.

Mike.