Re: Status of UDF CD packet writing?

From: Jens Axboe (axboe@suse.de)
Date: Wed Oct 09 2002 - 03:54:41 EST

On Tue, Oct 08 2002, lell02 wrote:
> hi,
>
> >Will Jens Axboes patch for CD packet writing for CD-R/RW make it in
> >before the feature freeze? I know Jens Axboe is busy with more basic I/O
> >stuff, but i sincerely hope it can be squeezed in before 2.6/3.0 is
> >released.
>
> jens stated on this about 1-2 days ago. he said, it would be little
> modification on the ide-cdrom, to make it work with cd-mrw/ packet
> writing. so it could go in after the feature freeze.

You might be talking about two different patches -- one for cd-rw
support (this is the pktcdvd (or -packet) patch that Peter Osterlund has
been maintaining) and the other for cd-mrw. The cd-mrw patch is very
small, not a lot is required to support that in the cd driver.
Supporting cd-rw is a lot harder, basically you have to do in software
what cd-mrw does in hardware (defect management, read-modify-write
packet gathering, etc).

cd-mrw will definitely be in 2.6. cd-rw support maybe, I haven't even
looked at that lately.

--
Jens Axboe