Re: [bk/patch] driver model update: device_unregister()

From: Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 09 2002 - 12:33:00 EST

On Wed, 9 Oct 2002, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> I think that is a valid argument as long as it's called "driverfs" or
> something, but since the thing is clearly evolving into a "kernelfs" and
> has drivers and devices as only a part of its structure knowledge, and is
> used to expose various kernel hierarchies and relationships, I actually
> think that it makes sense to expose the relationship of partitions to
> devices.

It makes sense, but that should be done for gendisk. I.e. we should have
(name, base, range) - not a node for each partition.

At least one obvious reason for oops is that thing sets ->disk_dev, which is
under complete control of partitions/check.c. If anything, setting
->driverfs_dev would be legitimate - use of ->disk_dev is a bug.

Al, waiting for already merged stuff to show up in snapshots...